The world is changing faster than ever.
Established companies are being overtaken by more innovative upstarts, entire industries which previously dominated the economy are being disrupted.
And looking at the future of work, artificial intelligence has already begun replacing low-skilled jobs.
So what is the single most important skill for your teams in order to stay productive, motivated and passionate at work?
It is creativity.
According to surveys of thousands of the world’s top CEOs and HR managers, creativity and innovation skills will be the most important capabilities needed by their people in order to help them survive and grow.
Unfortunately, there is a problem: in a survey of more than 5000 working professionals, less than 41% of believed they are creative. And while 98% of children are highly creative, only around 2% of nearly 300,000 adults tested to still be as creative.
But why is this a problem for business? Well, creativity is far more than people art, music or acting. The most important skills related to creativity include things like:
- Analytical thinking and innovation
- Complex problem-solving
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Originality and taking initiative
Around the world, studies show that creativity appears to be decreasing, becoming harder to find and encourage.
Some people think the reason is the school system trains students to think inside the box.
Other people think parents are putting too much pressure and control on their children, resulting in them being less able to think flexibly.
Fortunately, there is a way to unlock the creativity of everyone in your teams.
Check out the video above to see how you can do it.
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Stereotype Threat: Why people perform worse at some tasks based on their identity - January 24, 2023
- What is the purpose of a manager nowadays? - January 23, 2023
- Happiness is linked to higher creativity - January 16, 2023
- “As long as my failing project keeps going, I won’t be a failure” - January 12, 2023