In this episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with Deloitte Product and Service Design Director Bryan Hoedemaeckers, about one of Deloitte’s newest initiatives the foster an innovative spirit in the company: the Dreamatorium.
Rather than being a place of fantasy, the Dreamatorium is a place to connect, tinker, and dream big, with innovation as a consequence.
We discuss the reason so many innovation labs fail in companies, and how your company could set up its own Dreamatorium using the innovative skills already within your staff.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- 00:01:45 – The history of getting people to connect with new technologies like (3D Printers) at the Dreamatorium
- 00:03:30 – The problem with innovation labs where the only people who are allowed to touch the machines are the cleaners
- 00:04:45 – The only investment required to run a Dreamatorium session is for beer and wine. People bring their own technology they are tinkering with from home, and then people getting their hands dirty
- 00:07:45 – How informal events like this can naturally result in client offerings
- 00:10:00 – The issue with corporate innovation labs is that they are more like a museum than a laboratory
- 00:12:00 – Giving people access to technology which staff are already working on themselves, thereby requiring no budget
Links from this episode:
- Bryan’s Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bryanhoedemaeckers/
- Dreamatorium history, photos and examples: https://medium.com/design-for-business/what-is-this-dreamatorium-you-speak-of-33a5531c7f35
- Cold Drip Coffee: https://colddrip.co/
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
* Subscribe on iTunes to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/idea-to-value-creativity-innovation/id1199964981?mt=2
* Subscribe on Stitcher to the Idea to Value Podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=129437&refid=stpr
* Subscribe on Google Play to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://playmusic.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&apn=com.google.android.music&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ifjlz5o2w27yr4wn7belsne26oq?t%3DIdea_to_Value_-_Creativity_and_Innovation%26pcampaignid%3DMKT-na-all-co-pr-mu-pod-16
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Podcast S3E29: Roger Firestien – Learning from the man who taught the creative process to the most people in the world - December 18, 2019
- Podcast S3E48: Adam Malofsky – Innovating with your customers’ customer - December 10, 2019
- S3E47: Prof. Keith Sawyer – The Creative Classroom and improving learning outcomes - December 4, 2019
- 3 Dimensions of Innovation: the 23 Capabilities your company needs to succeed - November 28, 2019