In today’s episode, we speak with Ray Fleming, the Higher Education Director for Microsoft Australia.
We speak about how Microsoft went from losing its status as a worldwide innovator to rediscovering what it takes for innovation to succeed at a large, well-established company.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- 00:01:30 – How to connect technology to business purpose
- 00:02:30 – How Satya Nadella joining as Microsoft’s CEO completely changed the company culture in the past 5 years
- 00:04:15 – Why having someone from engineering and product development leading the company changed their outlook towards solving new problems
- 00:06:00 – Moving from a company of Know-it-Alls to an organisation of Learn-it-Alls, which allowed Microsoft’s team members to take more risks and move faster
- 00:08:15 – When you were an Enterprise Service provider, you couldn’t afford to Move Fast and Break Things. However, now Microsoft has changed the way they iteratively release products
- 00:10:00 – How Microsoft put their solutions on other people’s platforms because that is what the consumers wanted
- 00:13:15 – What it took for culture to change. One way was to embed continuous learning
- 00:15:15 – How becoming a data-led decision-making organisation allowed them to make the right decisions. This helped to move away from HiPPOs.
- 00:19:00 – How academic models need to change in order to provide skills of the future
- 00:21:00 – To demonstrate the importance of a culture of innovation, start from the top. Have senior leadership communicate what they are doing to continually learn and try new things.
Links discussed in this episode:
- Ray’s Linkedin profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rayfleming/
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
* Subscribe on iTunes to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/idea-to-value-creativity-innovation/id1199964981?mt=2
* Subscribe on Stitcher to the Idea to Value Podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=129437&refid=stpr
* Subscribe on Google Play to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://playmusic.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&apn=com.google.android.music&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ifjlz5o2w27yr4wn7belsne26oq?t%3DIdea_to_Value_-_Creativity_and_Innovation%26pcampaignid%3DMKT-na-all-co-pr-mu-pod-16
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- You don’t need to invent everything new to be innovative - October 20, 2021
- Ideas are a combination of existing knowledge - October 18, 2021
- Ideas are worth nothing without execution - October 15, 2021
- Podcast S6E135: Genein Letford – Intercultural Creativity - October 14, 2021