In today’s episode, we speak with Rodd Chant, who describes himself as a Creative Something.
Rodd started out in music, before leading Advertising companies in Australia, Singapore, New York, Tokyo and now back in Australia. We talk about what it takes to succeed in the creative industries, and how to lead creative individuals.
Topics discussed in today’s episode:
- 00:03:00 – What actually does a Creative Director do? It is about guiding your team to produce their best work
- 00:05:30 – What myths people misunderstand about what it is like working in advertising. It is lot like being an artist, it is a business.
- 00:08:00 – Coaching people on their creative journey
- 00:10:00 – There is no stereotypical “type” of creative person, they come in all different people, and they all have their own types of challenges
- 00:13:00 – Is everyone creative? The creative adult is the child that survives.
- 00:15:30 – Creative jobs are going to become more important in the future, as creativity is something that computers cannot master (although they are getting closer)
- 00:18:15 – Rodd does not believe that software will ever be able to compete with the creativity of a human, because there is no heart and soul in it
- 00:20:30 – When hiring people for his creative agencies, Rodd preferred to hire people who had experienced a life, rather than just learned the techniques
- 00:22:00 – Creative thinking skills are vital for all types of business
- 00:23:00 – A lot of agencies are struggling because they forgot the “creative” part. Many of them have become reactive rather than proactively creating new innovations. This reminds of this amazing letter warning of the same issue in 1947.
Links discussed in today’s episode:
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
* Subscribe on iTunes to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/idea-to-value-creativity-innovation/id1199964981?mt=2
* Subscribe on Stitcher to the Idea to Value Podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=129437&refid=stpr
* Subscribe on Google Play to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://playmusic.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&apn=com.google.android.music&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ifjlz5o2w27yr4wn7belsne26oq?t%3DIdea_to_Value_-_Creativity_and_Innovation%26pcampaignid%3DMKT-na-all-co-pr-mu-pod-16
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Podcast S3E29: Roger Firestien – Learning from the man who taught the creative process to the most people in the world - December 18, 2019
- Podcast S3E48: Adam Malofsky – Innovating with your customers’ customer - December 10, 2019
- S3E47: Prof. Keith Sawyer – The Creative Classroom and improving learning outcomes - December 4, 2019
- 3 Dimensions of Innovation: the 23 Capabilities your company needs to succeed - November 28, 2019