In today’s episode of the podcast, we speak with Ron Carucci, Founder of Navalent and an expert on assessing and building leadership capabilities in teams.
Ron’s company has researched over 2,700 leaders across more than 10 years to determine what the capabilities of successful leaders are, and what causes more than half of newly-promoted leaders to fail.
Topics covered in today’s episode:
- 00:02:00 What is leadership?
- 00:03:30 Not everyone in a leadership position is actually a leader, and more than half of leaders fail
- 00:04:30 Many people are being promoted into management positions which far exceed their capabilities
- 00:07:30 The four patterns required to be a successful leader: Context, Breadth, Choice, Connection
- 00:12:00 Can these four capabilities be learned and developed?
- 00:14:30 The issues new leaders have once they have been promoted
- 00:15:30 How today’s obsession with getting promoted upwards, people think that you’re not doing a good job
- 00:18:30 What causes some people to become comfortable lying in an organisation: Lack of strategic clarity, purpose, governance, border wars
- 00:21:30 What can individual leaders do to improve team performance?
- 00:23:00 Look for areas where different teams are working towards conflicting metrics
- 00:24:30 If at least once a week someone isn’t telling you something is not working, you suck
- 00:25:00 The importance of psychological safety to innovate
Links covered in today’s episode:
- Navalent website: https://www.navalent.com/
- Ron’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/RonCarucci
- Ron’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/roncarucci/
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
* Subscribe on iTunes to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/idea-to-value-creativity-innovation/id1199964981?mt=2
* Subscribe on Stitcher to the Idea to Value Podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=129437&refid=stpr
* Subscribe on Google Play to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://playmusic.app.goo.gl/?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&apn=com.google.android.music&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ifjlz5o2w27yr4wn7belsne26oq?t%3DIdea_to_Value_-_Creativity_and_Innovation%26pcampaignid%3DMKT-na-all-co-pr-mu-pod-16
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Podcast S4E78: Dorie Clark – the importance of reinventing yourself - September 17, 2020
- Podcast S4E77: Karin Hurt & David Dye – how to help people express their creative courage - September 10, 2020
- Podcast S4E76: Tamara Ghandour – unlocking your competitive advantage with innovation - September 3, 2020
- Podcast S4E75: Byron Lopez – How South Park produces a show in only a week - August 27, 2020