In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with Alex Osterwalder, Partner at Stratgyzer and creator of the Business Model Canvas.
We speak about what it takes to create an invincible company, with a particular emphasis on the importance of a balanced innovation portfolio.
Topics covered in today’s episode:
- 00:01:30 – How the Business Model Canvas (BMC) was created 20 years ago, to help companies innovate
- 00:04:00 – The original purpose of the BMC was to map out any business model, whether it was a company’s current one or one they wanted to create
- 00:05:00 – Innovation is now such a mature profession that practitioners need to understand all of the specialist tools at their disposal. This includes the Innovation Portfolio Maps and Business Model Patterns
- 00:08:45 – The different types of innovation in a company require different attitudes and management methods
- 00:11:00 – Most companies don’t believe they have high-quality systematic innovation capabilities. Instead, they have innovation theatre.
- 00:12:30 – What is an innovation portfolio? Exploiting and Exploring opportunities
- 00:14:30 – The business plan is the enemy of innovation. The importance of killing projects
- 00:16:15 – Companies need to give innovation projects dedicated resources
- 00:20:00 – Most business leaders don’t understand business models
- 00:21:30 – Companies should have a Chief Entrepreneur, and should be at the same level as the CEO
- 00:23:30 – Leadership commitment is required to invest in an innovation portfolio
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Podcast S3E62: Fredrik Haren – The Creativity Explorer - May 28, 2020
- Podcast S3E61: David Burkus – Why your company should Pick a Fight - May 21, 2020
- Podcast S3E60: Håkan Ozan – Building an ISO standard for innovation management - May 14, 2020
- Podcast S3E59: Kathryn Haydon – How to become more creatively productive and prolific - May 7, 2020