In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Design expert Eric Quint. As a former Chief Brand and Design Officer at 3M and Head of Design Management and Consulting at Royal Philips, Eric has extensive experience in understanding what it takes to get design embedded within large businesses.
We speak about the way innovation is approached at 3M and Philips, how this has changed over time, and what it takes to scale creativity and design.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:15 – Eric’s journey coming into design and innovation
- 00:02:45 – 3M’s way of innovating, especially the famous “15% Rule” capacity
- 00:04:30 – Should everyone be involved in innovation? Being clear on what should not be done.
- 00:09:00 – How 3M tried to optimise its operational effectiveness, and the impact of those efforts on their innovation capability
- 00:11:45 – His role at 3M and his work at Philips
- 00:15:00 – Why a company should collaborate with outside external firms
- 00:18:00 – Scaling ideas and design capabilities within a large company and understanding what innovation actually is
- 00:23:30 – Design as a strategy compared to Design as a Service
- 00:31:00 – The need to collaborate within the company
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Eric’s Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericquint3mcdo/
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Taking a break - June 13, 2022
- Would you trust a colleague who stole your ideas? - June 10, 2022
- Start small and build momentum - June 9, 2022
- The more people are in your company, the more administrative effort it takes - June 8, 2022