In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Design expert Eric Quint. As a former Chief Brand and Design Officer at 3M and Head of Design Management and Consulting at Royal Philips, Eric has extensive experience in understanding what it takes to get design embedded within large businesses.
We speak about the way innovation is approached at 3M and Philips, how this has changed over time, and what it takes to scale creativity and design.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:15 – Eric’s journey coming into design and innovation
- 00:02:45 – 3M’s way of innovating, especially the famous “15% Rule” capacity
- 00:04:30 – Should everyone be involved in innovation? Being clear on what should not be done.
- 00:09:00 – How 3M tried to optimise its operational effectiveness, and the impact of those efforts on their innovation capability
- 00:11:45 – His role at 3M and his work at Philips
- 00:15:00 – Why a company should collaborate with outside external firms
- 00:18:00 – Scaling ideas and design capabilities within a large company and understanding what innovation actually is
- 00:23:30 – Design as a strategy compared to Design as a Service
- 00:31:00 – The need to collaborate within the company
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Eric’s Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericquint3mcdo/
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Zombie ideas and Vampire ideas - January 21, 2022
- Podcast S6E147: Natalie Nixon – Embrace the chaortic nature of improvisational organisations - January 20, 2022
- What the lie about 8 wet, cold monkeys can tell us about the dangers of storytelling - January 19, 2022
- How travel can improve your creativity - January 18, 2022