In this episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Founder of CTM Unlimited, JeNae Johnson.
JeNae is a well known human capital consultant with a focus on bringing both equity and inclusivity to discussions around diversity. In today’s wide-ranging discussion as part of February Black History Month, we touch on what diversity is, why it is important, and what companies can do in order to improve their effectiveness.
If for some reason the video above does not load, you can see the full video on Linkedin here.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:00 – How JeNae rescues Geniuses
- 00:02:00 – The various forms of problems around diversity in different companies
- 00:07:15 – A horrific story of aggressive harassment which a senior female oil & gas executive experienced
- 00:10:00 – So many companies think that issues with race & sexism are always external to themselves (the bystander effect). But it isn’t
- 00:12:45 – Why diversity is important at all – benefits of diversity of thought and teams, and tracking ROI
- 00:17:30 – The important difference between diversity, equality and equity. Can your company pass the “Eye test”
- Equity takes into account where people are starting, and what they need to succeed
- 00:23:00 – What companies can start doing to move in the right direction
- 00:27:30 – Whether it helps diversity to prioritise and proactively bring in different people, or changing the talent pipeline
Links mentioned in this episode:
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Conan O’Brien quote on doing great creative work - March 5, 2021
- Podcast S5E105: Perry Marshall – Detox, Declutter, Dominate - March 4, 2021
- Sarcasm can boost creativity in teams (well yeah, obviously…) - March 3, 2021
- Don’t be a Superfluous Man - March 2, 2021