In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Jim Euchner. Jim is Honorary Professor at Aston Business School (UK) and Editor in Chief of Research-Technology Management, a peer-reviewed journal for practitioners of innovation, technology and research management. He was previously Vice President of Global Innovation at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, where he led the development of new businesses and helped launch five businesses on three continents.
We speak about his new book Lean Startup in Large Organizations: Overcoming Resistance to Innovation, and his experiences bringing new ideas to established companies.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:02:00 – Lean Startup practices (as discussed with Steve Blank)
- 00:05:00 – The importance of Innovation accounting
- 00:06:00 – How there is often resistance in large organisations, especially the impact on the core business and possible cannibalisation
- 00:09:30 – Jim’s example of innovation in the tyre industry, and tracking performance throughout the process
- 00:15:00 – The problems of cannibalisation of revenue, but also cannibalisation of focus and resources
- 00:19:45 – The different skills required throughout handovers in the innovation process
- 00:24:30 – If you have an innovation portfolio, it allows you to try more risky ideas
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Jim on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jimeuchner
- Jim’s website: https://leanstartup.biz/
- Jim’s book: Lean Startup in Large Organizations: Overcoming Resistance to Innovation: https://amzn.to/3HZf76G
The following two tabs change content below.
Chief Editor, Founder & CEO at Improvides Innovation Consulting
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Anchoring: The bias which affects our ability to estimate & negotiate - February 22, 2023
- Scott Kirsner & Alex Slawsby – Benchmarking Innovation Impact 2023: Podcast E164 - February 9, 2023
- Leaders will invest less in transformational innovation due to fears over the economy - February 6, 2023
- A.I. can now use text prompts to design new proteins which don’t exist in nature - January 30, 2023
Leave A Comment