In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Prof. Roger L Firestien, who is a senior faculty member for the Centre for Applied Imagination, University of SUNY, Buffalo.
He is also distinguished as being the person who has trained more people to lead the creative problem solving process (CPS) than anyone else in the world.
Prof Firestien has a new book coming out called Create in a Flash: A Leader’s Recipe for Breakthrough Innovation. I recommend you go check out www.createinaflashbook.com, because he has also included several free high quality videos to show you the techniques of CPS.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:15 the foundational work of Alex Osborn, who invented brainstorming and then the Creative Problem Solving process, which had been validated by more than 150 research studies
- 00:02:45 why “brainstorming” had got such a bad reputation, and why companies do it wrong
- 00:03:15 you need a well defined problem to be solved
- 00:05:00 what he had learnt in his more than 40 years teaching these techniques
- 00:06:30 you should spend about 3-4x as long reviewing and prioritising ideas as you do generating them
- 00:08:15 the link between CPS and Design Thinking
- 00:09:45 the 4 different types of creativity, and how everyone can be (and already is) creative
- 00:13:15 practical techniques people can use, from his new book “Create in a Flash”
- 00:14:45 to spark your creativity, it is important to make connections
Links covered in today’s episode:
- Create in a Flash book on Amazon: https://amzn.to/36KIeHH
- Free videos for the book: https://rogerfirestien.com/create-in-a-flash/
The following two tabs change content below.
Chief Editor, Founder & CEO at Improvides Innovation Consulting
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Authority Bias: Why we submit to the ideas and orders of others - May 14, 2023
- What impact does sleep have on creativity? - April 21, 2023
- Slowly getting more capable - April 12, 2023
- You need to know your success criteria - April 11, 2023
Leave A Comment