In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak again with David Burkus about his new audiobook: Pick a Fight.
We speak about why underdogs do so well, and what it takes to get your team to rally behind a cause.
Topics covered in today’s episode:
- 00:01:45 – People don’t want to join a company, they want to join a crusade
- 00:02:30 – What are you fighting for?
- 00:05:30 – The three types of fights that a company can choose from: Revolutionary Fight (like Ellevest), Underdog Fight (like Netflix) and Ally Fight (like WD40)
- 00:14:30 – Being an underdog appears to make you more creative, as shown by research by Samir Nurmohamed
- 00:18:00 – The story of the Netflix HR document, which shows how you need to allow people to do their best work
- 00:22:00 – Leaders don’t need to develop a vision, it is about describing the vision which already exists in the people
Quote from the episode:
How to find out the purpose of your organisation, ask these two questions of your people:
What do we do here?
How does what you do help us do that?
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- A.I. can now use text prompts to design new proteins which don’t exist in nature - January 30, 2023
- Stereotype Threat: Why people perform worse at some tasks based on their identity - January 24, 2023
- What is the purpose of a manager nowadays? - January 23, 2023
- Happiness is linked to higher creativity - January 16, 2023