In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with the creator of the Bose Noise-cancelling headphones, John Carter.
We discuss how challenging it is to develop completely new technology, the difficulty in describing its value and marketing it, and getting buy in for innovation processes in your company.
Topics covered in today’s episode:
- 00:01:00 – John’s background and journey with Dr Bose
- 00:03:00 – The history of the noise-cancelling headphones actually started by trying to improve audio performance, before later finding the noise-cancelling value proposition
- 00:04:00 – The challenges were not just technical, but in convincing marketing and distribution channels to create a new product category
- 00:08:00 – Innovation is not a team sport, it is usually done by one or two people
- 00:10:00 – The three aspects required for innovation: leadership, governance and process
- 00:12:30 – The reasons why functional managers are challenged by new innovations coming from separate innovation business units
- 00:15:00 – How he helped develop the Apple new product development process
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
- TCGen: https://www.tcgen.com/
- Innovate Products Faster book: https://amzn.to/30IWM9v
The following two tabs change content below.
Chief Editor, Founder & CEO at Improvides Innovation Consulting
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Anchoring: The bias which affects our ability to estimate & negotiate - February 22, 2023
- Scott Kirsner & Alex Slawsby – Benchmarking Innovation Impact 2023: Podcast E164 - February 9, 2023
- Leaders will invest less in transformational innovation due to fears over the economy - February 6, 2023
- A.I. can now use text prompts to design new proteins which don’t exist in nature - January 30, 2023
Leave A Comment