In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with the creator of the Bose Noise-cancelling headphones, John Carter.
We discuss how challenging it is to develop completely new technology, the difficulty in describing its value and marketing it, and getting buy in for innovation processes in your company.
Topics covered in today’s episode:
- 00:01:00 – John’s background and journey with Dr Bose
- 00:03:00 – The history of the noise-cancelling headphones actually started by trying to improve audio performance, before later finding the noise-cancelling value proposition
- 00:04:00 – The challenges were not just technical, but in convincing marketing and distribution channels to create a new product category
- 00:08:00 – Innovation is not a team sport, it is usually done by one or two people
- 00:10:00 – The three aspects required for innovation: leadership, governance and process
- 00:12:30 – The reasons why functional managers are challenged by new innovations coming from separate innovation business units
- 00:15:00 – How he helped develop the Apple new product development process
Links mentioned in today’s episode:
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Conan O’Brien quote on doing great creative work - March 5, 2021
- Podcast S5E105: Perry Marshall – Detox, Declutter, Dominate - March 4, 2021
- Sarcasm can boost creativity in teams (well yeah, obviously…) - March 3, 2021
- Don’t be a Superfluous Man - March 2, 2021