In this episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with Intellectual Property lawyer Robert Wright about the different ways to protect your ideas and innovation.
We go through the different types of intellectual property, as well as which one is appropriate for which type of creative output, innovation or product.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:45 – How Napster was Robert’s introduction to Copyright and the creative process
- 00:04:45 – The different types of intellectual property protection: Trademarks, Copyright and Patents, and the costs associated with each
- 00:14:15 – the misunderstanding of what IP protection actually brings: It allows you to enforce your ownership against people who are infringing on it, but this needs to happen at a cost
- 00:19:30 – Enforcement does not happen automatically
- 00:22:30 – How patent trolls have changed the value and usage of patents
- 00:25:00 – How Amazon is trying to simplify patent disputes on their platform
- 00:28:00 – Is it possible to prevent someone stealing your idea?
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Superhero Legal: https://superherolegal.com
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Taking a break - June 13, 2022
- Would you trust a colleague who stole your ideas? - June 10, 2022
- Start small and build momentum - June 9, 2022
- The more people are in your company, the more administrative effort it takes - June 8, 2022