In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with award-winning author and innovation specialist Whitney Johnson.
With nearly 2 million followers on Linkedin, she is one of the most popular speakers and experts on innovation, and we speak about her new book Smart Growth: How to Grow your People to Grow your Company.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:00:45 – Whitney’s journey from Wall Street to her time with Clayton Christensen, and finally to her work as a disruption advisor
- 00:03:00 – What is growth and the S-Curve popularised by E. Rogers?
- 00:06:00 – Why growth does not feel consistent, and why it can be so slow and frustrating at the beginning
- 00:09:30 – How people can be in a state of Flow in their S-Curve for a long time.
- 00:12:00 – Why it is so hard to create and innovate as you get older, and the importance of starting with small steps to form a habit
- 00:16:30 – Your journey of moving through several S-Curves throughout your life, and sometimes multiple simultaneously
- 00:21:00 – Using S-Curves to get the best growth performance out of teams, and entire companies as a portfolio of S-Curves
- 00:26:00 – How to have a challenging conversation with someone else who might need to grow, but it might become uncomfortable
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Smart Growth Book: https://smartgrowthbook.com/
- Whitney Johnson’s Website: https://whitneyjohnson.com
- Whitney on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/whitneyjohnson/
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Made to last - November 21, 2023
- We could all benefit from more failures - November 15, 2023
- Self-Serving bias: Why you think nothing is your fault - August 9, 2023
- We are all sheep - August 2, 2023