In today’s episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with award-winning author and innovation specialist Whitney Johnson.
With nearly 2 million followers on Linkedin, she is one of the most popular speakers and experts on innovation, and we speak about her new book Smart Growth: How to Grow your People to Grow your Company.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:00:45 – Whitney’s journey from Wall Street to her time with Clayton Christensen, and finally to her work as a disruption advisor
- 00:03:00 – What is growth and the S-Curve popularised by E. Rogers?
- 00:06:00 – Why growth does not feel consistent, and why it can be so slow and frustrating at the beginning
- 00:09:30 – How people can be in a state of Flow in their S-Curve for a long time.
- 00:12:00 – Why it is so hard to create and innovate as you get older, and the importance of starting with small steps to form a habit
- 00:16:30 – Your journey of moving through several S-Curves throughout your life, and sometimes multiple simultaneously
- 00:21:00 – Using S-Curves to get the best growth performance out of teams, and entire companies as a portfolio of S-Curves
- 00:26:00 – How to have a challenging conversation with someone else who might need to grow, but it might become uncomfortable
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Smart Growth Book: https://smartgrowthbook.com/
- Whitney Johnson’s Website: https://whitneyjohnson.com
- Whitney on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/whitneyjohnson/
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Potemkin villages and faking innovation - September 23, 2022
- Todd Henry: Developing a Daily Creative practice – Idea to Value Podcast S7E163 - September 15, 2022
- Artist wins Art Fair using painting created using A.I. image generator - September 8, 2022
- Sometimes, flat hierarchies can hurt innovation in Start-ups - September 5, 2022