In this episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Michael Easter, author of The Comfort Crisis and Professor of Journalism at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
We speak about the dangers our society faces by wanting to be more comfortable, and how we can improve our creativity by pushing our comfort barriers.
Topics mentioned in this episode:
- 00:02:30 – The benefits of embracing discomfort
- 00:04:30 – How our evolution made us avoid risk
- 00:05:30 – Why we are no longer willing to be bored and the negative aspects that this brings,
- 00:09:30 – how being bored can be good for your creativity
- 00:12:30 – The importance of getting away from screens and
- 00:14:45 – People need a certain degree of challenge in order to be healthy, and why we evolved to be afraid
- 00:18:45 – Michael’s experience in a highly dangerous place
- 00:21:30 – Why people want to keep the status quo, and how we need to take small risks even if they feel bigger
- 00:24:00 – You can break your routine to prevent yourself living on autopilot
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Comfort Crisis book: https://amzn.to/3sE2UPG
- Michael’s website: https://eastermichael.com
- Michael on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/michael_easter/
The following two tabs change content below.
Chief Editor, Founder & CEO at Improvides Innovation Consulting
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Anchoring: The bias which affects our ability to estimate & negotiate - February 22, 2023
- Scott Kirsner & Alex Slawsby – Benchmarking Innovation Impact 2023: Podcast E164 - February 9, 2023
- Leaders will invest less in transformational innovation due to fears over the economy - February 6, 2023
- A.I. can now use text prompts to design new proteins which don’t exist in nature - January 30, 2023
Leave A Comment