In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with Paul Ruppert. Paul is a veteran of the Telecommunications industry, and his companies have helped bring breakthrough technologies like worldwide mobile calling and SMS to the masses.
In this interview, we speak about what it takes for companies to innovate in new markets, the challenges with new technology and whether you are better off being a first mover or fast follower.
Apologies about any sound quality issues.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:30 – Paul’s journey helping to launch the company that became AT&T in America, and then at the company which brought SMS to the next level
- 00:04:45 – What it was like innovating in an industry when the technology was only just being developed
- 00:10:45 – The advantage of bringing in ideas from outside, as well as developing your own innovations internally at the same time
- 00:13:00 – How do you convince Venture Capital to invest millions in a new idea, with a view on growth
- 00:16:00 – Instead of going Zero to One, aiming for going from Zero to a Billion
- 00:19:30 – The work which Paul is currently doing around messaging and CPAAS
- 00:22:00 – Is your company a predator or bait, when it comes to acquisitions?
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Paul’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/paulruppertintl
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- You do not need to be completely original in order to be creative - December 7, 2023
- Made to last - November 21, 2023
- We could all benefit from more failures - November 15, 2023
- Self-Serving bias: Why you think nothing is your fault - August 9, 2023