In today’s episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with cognitive neuroscientist Dr Sahar Yousef. She is one of the youngest faculty members of UC Berkeley. In her 10 years of research on Making Superhumans, she has found ways to improve mental performance in as little as 7 weeks.
We speak about what it takes to reach peak performance and different brain states.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:00 – Her journey mixing philosophy and neuroscience
- 00:04:00 – How neural networks lead to creativity and flow states in your brain
- 00:07:45 – The biggest barriers to productivity are distractions. Research suggests you are interrupted or distracted every 90 seconds
- 00:11:00 – The danger of trying to be busy all the time. Task Switching is challenging, in fact it is impossible to multitask
- 00:14:30 – Using 15-minute “focus sprints” to improve your performance
- 00:17:00 – Work is never really done throughout the workday, and that’s why we don’t get the reward hit of dopamine