In this episode of the Idea to Value Podcast, we speak with author Mark Herschberg, helped to start the Undergraduate Practice Opportunities Program at MIT, dubbed MIT’s “career success accelerator,”
We speak about the skills which are necessary to succeed in the future, but which aren’t taught well enough at college.
Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:30 – The types of skills which are required to become a good leader and manager but are lacking at universities
- 00:05:30 – Is it possible to improve soft skills?
- 00:08:15 – How to become more innovative by building different thinking modes
- 00:11:45 – Using mental models from one discipline and using it in a completely different field
- 00:14:00 – A case study showing the different ways which teams communicate, when not everyone has all the details
- 00:19:00 – The difference between rewarding outcomes, and rewarding making the right decision based on the information available at the time
- 00:22:30 – Is your company culture about permission or forgiveness?
- 00:24:45 – The value of peer learning groups
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Career Toolkit website: https://www.thecareertoolkitbook.com/
- Mark’s Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hershey/
The following two tabs change content below.
Chief Editor, Founder & CEO at Improvides Innovation Consulting
Creativity & Innovation expert: I help individuals and companies build their creativity and innovation capabilities, so you can develop the next breakthrough idea which customers love. Chief Editor of Ideatovalue.com and Founder / CEO of Improvides Innovation Consulting. Coach / Speaker / Author / TEDx Speaker / Voted as one of the most influential innovation bloggers.
Latest posts by Nick Skillicorn (see all)
- Anchoring: The bias which affects our ability to estimate & negotiate - February 22, 2023
- Scott Kirsner & Alex Slawsby – Benchmarking Innovation Impact 2023: Podcast E164 - February 9, 2023
- Leaders will invest less in transformational innovation due to fears over the economy - February 6, 2023
- A.I. can now use text prompts to design new proteins which don’t exist in nature - January 30, 2023
Leave A Comment